What is a Double Bar Graph in Google Sheets?
A double bar graph graphically represents grouped data, where there are two parameters for a single category. Two bars are drawn for each type in a double bar graph in Google Sheets. These two bars represent the two given parameters for each category.
Why use the Double Bar Graph in Google Sheets?
A double bar graph helps visualize two datasets of a single category on one chart. So let’s say you want to visualize the performance of two athletes in a sports competition across various events. The dataset looks like this:
Here, you can see multiple events such as sprinting, javelin, high jump, shot put, and relay running. Both the students have scored some points in every event. You want to visualize which student has performed better in which event. You also want to visualize areas of improvement for these events. You can accomplish this analysis using a double bar graph.
How to Create a Double Bar Graph in Google Sheets?
To create a double bar graph in google sheets, follow these steps:
Step 1: Select Data
- Open Google Sheets.
- Select your data of interest.
- Keep in mind to include the column headers to use them in axis titles.
Step 2: Select Insert → Chart
- Navigate to the menu options at the top.
- Select Insert → Chart.
- A double bar graph is automatically created.
Modifications in Charts
Create different types of Double Bar Graphs in Google Sheets
- In most cases, Google Sheets creates a vertical double bar graph.
- You can change it to a horizontal double bar graph or other variations.
- To create different double bar graphs in Google Sheets, go to the Chart Type parameter in the Chart editor and open the drop-down menu.
- You can select from the list of charts in the drop-down menu, as shown below:
Switching Rows and Columns
- You can switch rows and columns to visualize bar graphs of players in individual events.
- Scroll down the chart editor and select the checkbox Switch Rows/Columns.
- The new graph looks like this:
Other Customizable Options
- You can change the chart style by clicking on the Customize tab in the Chart editor.
- You can label the values of the double bar graph in Google Sheets by clicking on Series → Data Labels. The chart will now look like this:
- You can explore other customizable options such as changing axis titles, changing fonts, and changing colours in the customize tab in Chart editor.
The double bar graph in Google Sheets is a helpful business tool for visualizing two datasets of a single category in a single chart. You can tweak the parameters to create a double bar graph in Google Sheets of your choice. If you want to know more about Double bar graphs in Google Sheets, click here.
Want to know more formulas and functions in Google Sheets? Look at our definitive guide on Google Sheets which covers hundreds of such topics here. Enjoy reading!
Filter Data by Color in Google Sheets: In this article, we would have a look at how to Filter Data by Color in Google Sheets.
Google Sheets: How to Use Pivot Tables: Learning how to create and use Pivot Tables for analysing data in Google Sheets.
Conditional Formatting in Google Sheets: Get started with Conditional Formatting in Google Sheets
Google Sheets: Plot Multiple Data Ranges on a Single Chart: To plot multiple data ranges on a single graph along with their equations of linear regression.
How to Perform Linear Regression in Google Sheets: Create a graphical representation of Linear Regression using Google Sheets. Formulate linear relationships between variables.