Design inspiration is an essential part of the creative process but finding the right source of inspiration can be a challenge. While this challenge will remain, ChatGPT can be gainfully employed to make the process less taxing.
This guide will (try to) explain how to use ChatGPT for design inspiration and how you can use it to give shape to the foggy ideas you have. By the end of this article you will have a good understanding of how to incorporate ChatGPT in your design workflow.
Maximising the potential of ChatGPT for design inspiration
Here are some tips and strategies to effectively use ChatGPT to generate design ideas and spark creativity.
- Start with a clear question or prompt: The clearer and more detailed the prompt, the more relevant will the answers be.
- Experiment with different approaches: Try different approaches, such as asking for specific design styles, colour combinations, or patterns depending on your needs and goals.
- Use ChatGPT as a starting point: ChatGPT is not a one-stop solution but only a starting point. Take the ideas generated by the chatbot and build on them with your own creativity and research.
- Collaborate with other creatives: Collaborating with other designers and creatives can help you get new perspectives and broaden your design inspiration.
How to use ChatGPT for design inspiration
Without any attempt at or pretence to exhaustivity, below are 10 ways you can use ChatGPT for design inspiration.
- Layout design
- Typography recommendation
- Design theme generation
- Ideas for colour palettes and patterns
- Logos and branding
- Design concept generation
- Website design and user experience
- Motion design and animation
- Product design and packaging
- Text generation
Let us go into more depth and learn how we can use ChatGPT in the design process.
1. Layout design ideas
- The layout design is one of the first things a visitor to a website notices and therefore a crucial aspect of design.
- A good layout design conveys more than the sum of its parts. But the converse is also true: a poor layout design can diminish the significance of the individual elements, making the whole less than the sum of its parts.
- You can use ChatGPT for design inspiration for the layout of your landing page and then build from it.
For example, you can enter following prompt in ChatGPT to get layout ideas:
- If you have some ideas of how you want it to look or specific information that you to add, then you can specify them in the prompt.
- ChatGPT will give you results close to what you want if you give a more specific prompt. The more clear and detailed the prompt, the better will be the result.
- Or with the idea suggested by ChatGPT, you can use that as a further prompt to get better details and nuances.
2. Typography recommendation
- Typography is another important aspect of design that can create an immediate impression.
- Font styles, colours, sizes and weights all play an important role. They can convey elegance and seriousness as also clumsiness and jocularity.
- Ask ChatGPT to give you typography recommendations for your brand and it’ll give you specific recommendations.
3. Design theme generation
- You can also ask ChatGPT to come up with a specific theme for a brand or product.
- If you like choices, then you can ask it to generate 5 (say) themes and then choose one option and ask it to build on that.
4. Ideas for colour palettes and patterns
- Colours like font type can convey different moods and impressions. So it’s important to get them perfect–or at least, not wrong.
- Without going into the nuances of colour psychology, you can simply ask ChatGPT for colour suggestions.
- Say you have a brand colour, blue, and you want to know what secondary colours to go well with. Ask ChatGPT and it’ll give you bright and shiny suggestions.
- Or suppose you have a colour name in mind but do not know the hex code. You can use ChatGPT to generate the hex code or the RGB values, or convert hex codes to RGB values and vice versa.
5. Inspiration for logos and branding
- Can ChatGPT design logos? Indeed it can–in any case, you can use it to help you design logos. ChatGPT can help you with logo design, especially in ideation and brainstorming.
- For example, you can ask ChatGPT to generate five logo design ideas for a new vegan food company, and it’ll give you perfectly sound suggestions.
- You can then enter the result in DALL-E or any other AI image generator such as Midjourney to visualise the idea.
- Below is an image generated on entering the prompt in DALL-E:
Basic and minimalistic. But not quite bad. We still need human graphic designers, though.
6. Design concept generation
- If you need help with some concept ideas, then ChatGPT can help you.
- You can then follow up with another prompt asking it to generate a tagline or a logo based on the concept.
7. Ideas for website design and user experience
- You can use ChatGPT for various aspects of website design such as developing concepts, creating headlines, wireframing and prototyping, and so on.
- Ask it to improve user experience by making recommendations and suggesting user-friendliness.
- Additionally, you can ask it to create a user flow so that you can understand it better and implement the steps into your website to maximise conversion.
8. Motion design and animation
- Motion and animation make a UI expressive and easier to use
- They are important attention grabbers
- They add playfulness thus making your app/website seem friendly and can increase engagement
Ask ChatGPT to give you ideas for animation or ideas for a video to promote your product.
- The video would be rather long and therefore not quite ideal for an attention-deficit world. So we can ask it to make modify it.
9. Product design and packaging
- Have a (potentially) fantastic but nascent and fuzzy idea that you have trouble giving shape to or how to approach? Simply provide ChatGPT with your abstract, rudimentary idea and it’ll provide you with concrete, actionable concepts.
- The second one seems like a fantastic idea. Let us ask ChatGPT to give us more insights.
10. Text generation
- And finally, if you want some catchy texts and headlines to complement your design, ChatGPT can provide you with some ideas.
- You can ask it to give you call-to-action phrases for your app or website or product.
Example ChatGPT prompt for call-to-action phrases:
- Or you can ask for some taglines
- Or create a story for a brand
There are plenty more that you can use ChatGPT for design purposes not mentioned here. ChatGPT can be used to speed up your workflow, help you get over creative blocks, and help you form concrete ideas from abstract thoughts.
Whether you are a product designer, UI/UX designer, or marketing designer, ChatGPT can help you get over certain creative blocks and fastract your design process. ChatGPT is not a substitute for human designers; it is an assistant for human designers.
Tools for design and image generation
Here are some tools that you can use to automate the design process and generate images from natural languages.
- Galileo AI: Generative AI for user interface design integrated with Figma.
- Diagram: GPT-3-powered Figma automation tools.
- Stability AI: Stable Diffusion Photoshop plugin.
- DALL·E 2: Create realistic images and art from a description in natural language.
- AI Render: Create Stable Diffusion images in Blender.
- Craiyon: an AI model that can draw images from any text prompt.
- Diffusion Bee: Stable Diffusion app for MacOS.
- Midjourney: Similar to DALL-E and Stable Diffusion, it generates images from textual description.
- Astria: Visualise real images with different variations and AR.
- GauGAN2 by Nvidia: A deep learning model that turns a simple written phrase into a photorealistic masterpiece.
If you want take productivity to another level, have Amigo as a companion app to retrieve data from various sources such as Facebook Ads, Google Ads, MySQL, Shopify and Google Trends among others and automatically create reports. Visit our website to know more.
Some related articles